Saturday 18 January 2014

First Past The Post

I think it's fair to say that I'm not exactly the most sporty person ever. Maybe it's my sickly childhood and my parents' emphasis on creative and academic achievement. Maybe it's my under-developed competitive streak ("Oh, you did really well in a thing I can't do as well as you? Nice one! :)") or the part where I was bullied by massive sporty girls as a late-developing weirdo.

Don't get me wrong - when I could avoid wheezing, I liked running around and throwing things and climbing up stuff as much as the next person who has those abilities. It just didn't... define me, I suppose.

Especially after computers happened.

But I've been through periods of being properly fit - the Year of the Sixpack (2005), various phases of cycling everywhere (2001-2003; 2010-2011 - the middle of that was Milton Keynes. Not exactly a cycling paradise that place). They took some effort, but I'm annoyingly prone to building muscle quickly when I actually put effort into it.

So why aren't I currently buff as hell?

Asthma. Increasingly screwed-up joints. A tendency to have long periods of being very ill in the lungs or injured, because these things happen easily to me. Oh, and there was 2007-2009 when I was either carrying around an increasingly massive tumour or recovering from having my abdominal muscles slashed vertically to get it gone. And the Year of The Stick (2011-2012).

So why start now, somewhat physically screwed-up and approaching 40 at an alarming speed?

See above. Plus all my family (save one) die of heart/ blood pressure-related issues. Putting that off as long as possible feels wise. My job is sedentary, and none of my hobbies wildly aerobic. Action needs to be taken, and besides - I enjoy feeling in control of this conglomeration of fleshy electrons.

So I've taken several steps to get around my natural inhibitions towards the physical:

1. Spreadsheets. I love 'em. I'm fooling the nerdy part of my psyche that tracking nutrition and exercise stats is fun.

2. A goal. Sport Relief's mile is 23rd March this year, and I've pledged to walk 6 miles, in one go, for charity.

3. Gadgets. I'll get my smartphone in on the act and satisfy that part of me too.

4. Spending money to save money. Cautious Fay wants to know the benefits of running, jumping, and lifting? Joining the gym will save her money on taxis for when she's too out of puff to run to the bus. Or just, you know, walk to where she needs to go.

So why write a blog?

Because that's probably partly going to be 5. Appeal to my creative/ academic side. Because I'm recording the actions but not the effects (physical or mental) in my spreadsheet, so maybe the more tenuous/ difficult to measure (feeling better, better posture, more confident, endorphin response, general stamina, etc.). It will also be a good place to talk these things out without boring the arse off anyone who's not actually interested.

I should probably start making some physical measurements - weight, waist size, etc. - to feed the spreadsheet, but this blog will be a good place to talk about how it makes me feeeel, among other things.

So, will this help or be a distraction from the actual work needed? Will I complete my goals? Will I keep this blog up? Will I injure myself along the way? Will I get anyone to crack a smile back at me at the gym?

Watch this space, I guess! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment