Wednesday 5 February 2014

Back on the Wagon

In the end, I had five days with no other exercise but walking, and even then not much. I'm disappointed, if truth be told - while I chose wisely not to for the first three days, the other two were littered with excuses and bad planning.

Oh well; changing patterns of thought are unlikely to happen overnight. I shall look on this as a learning opportunity...

In other, more positive news: I got back into things while staying over at my family's at the weekend, and felt the better for it, though my abs kept saying really?! I missed the chance to get a long walk in, though, which was a shame, but visiting my mum's grave with my dad (the first time we've done that, it suddenly occurs to me, since her funeral in '99) took precedence.

Anyway, a week later than anticipated (planned, that is), I went for the "Walk all the way home after work" goal.  Some numbers for the stats heads, according to my Google Tracks app:

Distance: 2.6 miles
Putative Calories Burned: 273
Total Time: 41:40
Average Speed: 3.74 mph

(There's all sorts of stuff about moving time and average moving speed, which seems confusing to me, but hey...)

All of which is rather positive, I think.  Good speed, didn't stop for any significant amount of time except at a pedestrian crossing, during which I kept my legs wiggling, like a very slow, over-dressed jogger.  I didn't hurt too much during the walk itself, and I even stretched out when I got home.

Today my legs are so very far from fussed I'd almost forgotten I'd done it.  Well, I say that.  They weren't during the day, but now they're grumbling, especially in the knees, and I can't help but wonder if 2.6 miles at a fast trot followed by fairly intensive sessions on the stationary bicycles the next day was entirely wise.

Heigh-ho.  You'll be wanting a progress report then?

Diet (as opposed to dieting)


I'm eating well, enjoying food, and stubbornly substituting dried fruit and more water for biscuits and flapjack.  Tonight I sat there, in our currently freezing kitchen, after an extremely satisfying meal of home-made stew with potatoes and fresh bread, and wondered what was wrong.  I started externalising the conversation I was having sotto metis in my head to highlight to myself how ludicrous it was:

"But I want a biscuit."

"You've eaten more than enough, you're just tired."

"Biscuits! I can see them!"

"Sorry - no biscuits for you..." etc.  It seemed to work.

(Although I'd quite like a biscuit right about now.  Maybe I'll go to sleep instead.)

Sleep


I've got to do something about this.  I'm more tired from physical exertion, so my sleep quality's better, I just need to work on the quantity. Dammit.

Physio


Apart from the blip (it was a blip!) that was last week, doing well on this score.  It's getting a tad easy, though, which means that, presumably, I run the risk of getting bored by it and not doing it.  Doing it first thing in the morning keeps it more difficult (laxer muscles to overcome), and I can do that time-wasting reading the news thing that I would usually do slumped on the sofa when I arguably should be getting ready for work...

Mat exercises


Going very well.  20 reps is almost easy now, and my planks (even the repeated ones in later sets) are more reliably 60 seconds (or close) at a time.  So I've started adding in some new ones (wide-arm press-ups!  Yay! Holy damn that's difficult!), and will continue to do so (I foresee flying press-ups - where you swing one arm up at a time after coming back up - scissor kicks, and - in a month or so's time I suppose - gym ball gubbins; that'll keep me occupied...)

Gym


I failed to consider that doing longer sets of the endurance stuff (bikes, rowing machine, etc.) would mean that I spend longer overall at the gym.  That tiny miscalculation (and missed bus) aside, this is going pretty well too.

Up to 16.5 minutes on the bikes (the magical 20 minutes is almost within sight!), with variations of difficulty to - again - keep me from getting bored and doing it wrong.  I'm also listening to music and reading the Kindle app on the phone during the "flat" stretches.  And watching the man who does Epic Lunges down the length of the cardio part of the gym.  Luckily, I am too breathless, generally, to shout "Why so serious?!"

Maximum reps on the free weights is starting to get easy.  I think next week I go up a whole 0.5kg!  Onto the Big Girl Weights, where they have textured chrome bars and black hexagonal ends!  Yay! :D

I'd forgotten how ace rowing machines are.  I'd also forgotten that people are as crap at putting the handles back to the right slot for the next person as they are re-stacking their weights.

Oh hell - I'm turning into a gym bore!

No, no, it's okay - I'm allowed/ supposed to on here.

I saw a lot more people that I know in the gym today.  Tuesday appears to be People Fay Knows Day at that particular grunt emporium.

And no, I still haven't got used to the guttural gasps emitted by men with weights, the higher-pitched, sobbing exhalations of women at the end of their sets.  This, I have decided, is why people wear earphones - not to distract themselves from the boredom of repetitive exercise, not to dedicate themselves to their fitness in aural isolation, but to prevent themselves from getting needlessly aroused by the sounds of the others around them.

There's a poem in that, I'll wager...


And that's it, I reckon.  This weekend I'll need to walk 3.5 miles to be up to the mark; I'll let you know how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment